Sunday, June 19, 2016

Day 4 - Moving On


Final thoughts on Antigua as I ride the shuttle away--cute, quaint town. Interesting history, fascinating architecture. It sits surrounded by volcanoes. It's maybe a bit touristy for my tastes, so I think my time here was just right when you include that I was gone for half a day for the volcano hike. 
I visited with the girl I rented from last night. She was surprised I hadn't been offered weed or LSD on the streets, usually by kids. At least I don't think I was. I only smelled it once - at the convent ruins. A little boy was playing in one room. In the next were his parents. I walked in and and the smell was very strong. 
Anyhow, onward I go. My next destination, San Marcos la Laguna, is a quiet village where hippies and yogis hang out. The neighboring village, San Pedro, is apparently where Antiguans go for their drugs. It's the party town.

Random thoughts 
I'm sort of sorry I haven't taken a ride on a chicken bus. 
 
I made it! I met up with one of the founders of Mayan Families to provide a check from one of my best friend's aunts, who is a long time supporter of their mission and families. It was an opportunity for her to get them some money through easier means. As it turns out, someone on my shuttle works for them and was able to point me in the right direction when I arrived in Panajachel. Patty was so interesting-she's been here 30 years. She is 75. As it tens out, we are on the same shuttle Thursday to Guatemala City via Antigua. I will meet her at her house for the shuttle instead of the boat docks. 
I wandered around, ate lunch, and headed to the boat docks for the ride to San Marcos. I sat in front. After several stops, we were told ours was next. I met two people from the US who work for the same NGO and know My friend's aunt.  (Side note: a young Mayan mother had boarded with a girl, maybe 3, and a toddler, maybe 1. The toddler was distressed by the spraying water. Mother comforted her by nursing. No one was offended, outraged, or even batted an eye. Why this is a thing in the US is beyond me. It's completely natural.) And that's where the boat ran out of 
gas. Seriously. How does a boat operator run out of gas? 

Fortunately, another boat made a special petrol delivery and we were on our way.
 
Now I sit 
And relax. 

I knew it was a hike up to this place. It's not for the faint hearted. 
From the top:

And then there's a little downhill/uphill.

And more 

And then one final section. This was coming down. Going up with my backpack was a challenge. I hunched over on the last section because I had fears of toppling backwards. I'm not sure how I'll get down with my backpack-slowly and carefully? I did leave for dinner and made it back before dark. It was nearly 2 miles round trip. When I arrived, the manager was surprised I carried my backpack. She said I am the first she's seen bring up his/her own things. ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿป
Thanks, Amber. 
So this is my home for the week-from the road. 
And here is the view - 

That's Milly, my dog for the week. She's pretty chill. We did play tug of war with her stick while I was in the hammock. I don't recommend this because if you win, you really lose when momentum dumps you on the ground. Stupid stick. ๐Ÿ˜‚

When I grow up, I want a home with this flowers - the red yellow ones. I love them. 

And my bungalow. And yes, those are my pants on the clothesline. 

Panajachel 


As I was walking home after dinner, I passed many Mayan women. These two were carrying firewood on their heads. 


Here comes the rain...and I'm sheltered on a covered porch just listening to it. It's nice. G'night!

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your adventure. Don't know if I am that brave. You have a lot of respect for you.

    ReplyDelete