Thursday, June 6, 2013

Santa Elena Reserve Hike


Wednesday, June 5

Today, we took a two-hour plus hike in the Santa Elena Reserve. After almost two weeks in this beautiful country, I am still in awe of the beauty of the rainforest. Unfortunately, I did not capture any great photos. We did see some neat wildlife, thanks to the talents of our wonderful guide. He spotted a hummingbird and her nest up high in a tree. He had a telescope so that we could see her up close, but it was not in reach of my camera due to distance and lack of good lighting. We also saw an owl-how he spotted it, I have no idea-as well as my first but hopefully not my only quetzal, which is the national bird of Costa Rica. Picture below-but again it was far away and in the shadows. The one he spotted was a young male. I have yet to see the elusive bell bird, which we always hear but is difficult to sight.

I was actually able to communicate to my family what our plans are tomorrow, so that’s progress. I do not know how grammatically correct I was, but it is a far cry from where I was when I arrived. Spanish is difficult! Actually, I think any new language would be difficult on my brain. Anyhow, progress is progress, right?

Tomorrow, we have our second school visit. I am looking forward to it—we will be visiting the primary school in Santa Elena.


Not the best, picture, but he was FAR away

No comments:

Post a Comment