Monday, June 3, 2013

Random Thoughts


June 2

Random thoughts

I wish I knew how to say never mind when after my tico mama asks me if I want hot chocolate and I say yes, she sends her daughter to the store to buy chocolate!

I need to take  a shower tonight, but yesterday when I showered after our zip line canopy experience, the water was ice cold. I could not get the hot to work. This was after my lower half being wet most of the day. Brrrr. So, I am trying to mentally prepare myself for a cold, cold shower. It’s not a pleasant experience.

I speak Spanish with an Oklahoma accent, although I generally do not have a strong Oklahoma accent. Thus, my tico family doesn’t understand me often even when I am saying the correct words.

It costs less than a dollar for a strawberry popsicle and a small package of wafer cookies. Yes, I love the chocolate wafer cookies. Don’t hold it against me.

My tico family gave me a package of cajeta from my tico papa’s (I call him Alfonso) cheese factory. It is taking all of my will power to not eat it right here and now. I want to save it for when I go back to Oklahoma.

My tico sister Victoria asked me about my Camp John Marc shirt. Fifteen minutes later, I finished explaining camp to my tico dad (with the help of a dictionary). Victoria was nowhere to be seen. I lost her.

I haven’t seen the eggs refrigerated here. I haven’t gotten sick, so I am not going to worry about it.

My mama tica finally let me help prepare dinner. I washed lettuce. I think she’s protective and particular of her knives, so no chopping vegetables for me.
Tonight’s dinner used achiote in it’s preparation, but I have no idea what the rest of it is, other than salad. Or rice and beans.
(couple hours later). Ok, we didn’t have rice and beans! And she let me help more!
We made tortas (sort of like a sandwich). The filling was carne molita, ground beef with chile, achiote, cilantro, and other spices. The dough was made from yucca boiled until soft, then smashed with a fork until smooth. We then added an egg, salt, and butter. You form a ball of the dough, pat it out into a circle ,add some of the carne filling, and fold it up. You then coat it in flour and fry. It was pretty good.



Pretty green from our Trapiche Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment